Traditionally speaking, Easter marks the start of wedding season. So today I’m sharing my top tips on looking modern and stylish at a wedding, whatever your role (and that includes saying goodbye to frumpy connotations associated with mother of the bride!)
Have fun – Weddings are joyous occasions, so why shouldn’t your outfit reflect that?! Whether it’s a bright print, whimsical accessory, an exquisite colour, or a dash of glitter – this is the time to wear that piece that puts a smile on your face.
- Avoid the matchy matchy – An all-in-one look is a tricky one to pull off without looking like you’re going to a Royal Wedding. But if you’re still keen, try incorporating different textures to break up the look, or opt for subtly different tones.
- You don’t have to wear a dress – We usually assume the best option for a wedding is a dress, but a skirt or trousers can be just as sophisticated.
- Get practical – You’ve got a long day ahead of you, but that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on style. Make sure your look is just as great with or without a cover up, choose cute shoes that are equally comfy (ones with padded insoles are ideal), and opt for a clutch that can work as a wristlet so you don’t have to hold it the whole time – you’ll have enough other things to carry!
- Say Yes to a hat – Forget those flimsy hairbands with a couple of feathers and a bow, and truly make a style statement in a fabulous hat. It doesn’t have to be overly flamboyant, but it will add that touch of polish and class to any outfit.
- Make for the metallics – Yes, nude accessories go with everything. But they’re also a very obvious choice, and there are bound to be plenty at any wedding. A funkier alternative is a gold or silver – still just as versatile, but way more interesting.
- Moisturise! Moisturise! Moisturise! – Make sure you cleanse and moisturise for several days in advance of the wedding to avoid foundation looking cakey on the day – especially if you want to wear more than usual to make it last the whole day.