We all know that one of the most common side effects of menopause is gaining weight around the middle – which can be particularly tough to deal with when you used to be a different shape. So here are my 10 top tips on how to dress your figure if you want to cover your tummy (and the answer is not to wear lots of baggy, shapeless clothes!)
The Cut Is Key
- Tops that drape are very flattering, whether you choose ones that sweep diagonally across the body, or fall like a waterfall
- Asymmetrical tops are also great as they lengthen the body by drawing the eye down
- Whilst it’s best to avoid tops and dresses that cling around the middle, don’t be afraid of wearing a piece that is more fitted on the bust.
- Structured jackets are always great – whether you go for a fitted blazer, or a tailored longer one. Avoid cropped and boxy shapes
Draw attention away from your middle
- Choose v-necks and scooped necklines – these look particularly great if you have a larger bust
- Wear bold, eye catching jewellery, especially necklaces and earrings
- Avoid garments with detail around the middle such as pockets
Create an optical illusion
- Dresses with block side panels are slimming and create the illusion of a waist
- Balance out your proportions by wearing slim trousers or leggings with a more flowing top
- Make sure to invest in a perfectly fitting supportive bra – it will give you uplift and ensure nothing is drooping!
See you next week!